Walden Financial Services

The shortest path to earning your degree is to stay focused on your studies, we know you have a lot to manage so it helps to plan-ahead. Check your financial aid status and student account each term to make sure you are on track.

Go the "help" icon on your student portal to live chat with a representative. To speak with a representative by phone call 800-925-3368.

Walden Title IV School Code

Walden's Title IV Code is 025042. You must renew your FAFSA application with the new FAFSA year.  Check studentaid.gov to ensure your application is completed for the current year.

View Financial Aid status and track progress

Go to the myFinAid portal to view your financial aid status and review any additional documents or actions that are required for your application. You will also see updates on your individual financial aid progress in Your Feed located on the right side your myWalden student portal.

What happens if my payment is past due?

Once your payment is past due, a hold will be placed on your account that may prevent future registration or obtaining any Walden official documents such as transcripts or diplomas. For more information about your account or to make a payment go to the Financial Payment Gateway. If you would like to discuss financial options with one of our Financial Account Specialists, please reach out to our Financial Account Management Office. Domestic: 1-877-302-5504 International: 1-410-637-4447 or email us at FAM@mail.waldenu.edu.

How can I tell that Walden has received my FAFSA application?

Visit your myFinAid portal and go to the "Documents & Messages" tab from the left-hand navigation to view the status of your FAFSA.

What will happen to my financial aid if I fail a class?

If you are a financial aid recipient and you fail to earn a passing grade in one or more courses, your current and future financial aid could be impacted. Federal regulations require Walden’s Office of Financial Aid to review your account to determine the percentage of financial aid you earned during the term. If it is determined that you did not earn 100% of the financial aid that was disbursed to you, Walden will return all or a portion of the funds to your loan servicer. This may leave a balance on your account which you will be responsible for paying to Walden. You can view the Return to Title IV (R2T4) policy in the student handbook. Additionally, failure to complete courses with a passing grade can impact your financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). If your GPA and/or completion rate fall below the minimum SAP requirements, your financial aid eligibility may be impacted. You can view the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards in the student handbook.

I was notified that I was offered financial aid, what should I do next?

You can review and make a decision on your offer on the myFinAid portal by selecting "Your Financial Aid Offers" in the left-hand navigation. You are encouraged to borrow only what you need.

If you choose to accept any of the funds that are offered, you will also need to review the “Documents and Messages” tab to ensure you have completed all required documents and tasks.

How do I set up the method of payment for any financial aid refund amounts?

You can set up or change the method of payment for any eligible financial aid refund amounts by visiting your myWalden student portal, select "Finances" from the left-hand navigation. Then, scroll down to the Quick Links section and select "Manage Your Refund" (US students only) . From there, you will be able to update your refund address, set up direct deposit, or edit your refund method.

Where can I view my account balance?

Visit the Financial Payment Gateway portal to view your student account, make a payment, set up payment arrangements, or view invoice and transaction history.

Will participation in my program affect financial aid?

Yes. To ensure that your financial aid is disbursed on time, you must continuously participate in graded activities in all of your courses. Failure to log in and participate in your courses may cause your disbursement and any resulting refund to be delayed. To access your classroom, visit your myWalden student portal and select "Go To Class" from the left-hand navigation menu.  

How can I set up automatic payments or make a payment plan?

Visit the Financial Payment Gateway and on your dashboard, you will select "Create Payment Plan". Select from one of the plan options in the drop down, and select your payment method.

What are the academic requirements to maintain Financial Aid eligibility?

All federal financial aid recipients must meet a minimum GPA (2.0 for most undergraduates and 3.0 for graduates) and completion rate (67%) requirement to maintain eligibility. Additionally, students will become ineligible for aid when they reach the maximum time frame for their program. You can view the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy in the student handbook for more information.
All financial aid recipients must also maintain continuous participation throughout the term. Lack of continuous participation can result in funds returned to your loan servicer. You can view the Return to Title IV (R2T4) policy in the student handbook.